CANCELLED - EXCURSION: Gates Foundation & Seattle Center
Departure: 7:30 a.m. from the Four Points Sheraton on Lakeway and I-5; stop at Smokey Point rest area prior to arrival in Seattle. Directions to Four Points
At 10 a.m. we will begin our docent-led tour of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation adjacent to the Seattle Center. The docent will lead us through the facility for nearly an hour explaining the wide variety of endeavors undertaken by the Gates Foundation throughout the world. Following the tour you will be able to explore the exhibitions further on your own for as long as you like until 4 p.m.
On the other hand, if you feel you have seen enough of the Gates Foundation you are welcome to cross 5th Avenue to enter the Seattle Center complex. Here you will have a number of attractions from which to choose: (All prices are from December 2019 and are for seniors.)
- Space Needle - cost is $27.50 or $49.00 for Space Needle + adjacent Chihuly Garden and Glass - Strongly recommend you book your Space Needle ticket prior to the excursion. This can be done on-line up to 30 days in advance. The recently remodeled and reopened Space Needle now features: “Float over Seattle on Skyrisers, tilted glass benches perched over the city. Step onto The Loupe, the world’s first and only revolving glass floor.”
- Chihuly Garden and Glass - $27.00
- Museum of Pop Culture (formerly the Experience Music Project) - $31.00
Many items here focus on musicians and groups that have their roots in Seattle. “Minecraft - The Exhibition” will also be featured here through September 2020, but this is an additional cost. It is a very popular, creative computer program for youth.
- Pacific Science Center - $23.95 - Has a wide variety of hands-on science activities.
- Seattle Monorail - $1.50 - You could take this and walk down to Pike’s Place Market and then take a taxi/Uber/Lyft back to our bus pick-up spot.
- Explore some other areas of Seattle that interest you.
At 4:00 p.m. our bus will depart with an interim restroom stop at the Smokey Point rest area. Our expected arrival time back at Four Points is around 6:15 p.m.
For more information about this excursion, please contact the excursion leader: Renee Lowry (808) 443-3331 or Jeff Eastman, (253) 229-9404.
Registration Deadline: Wednesday, March 11, 2020
At a Glance
Friday, Mar 27, 2020
Four Points Sheraton, Bellingham