I am applying from my home country. When will I receive my I-20?

The IEP Office can issue an I-20 Form about 3 days after we receive your complete application form and all required supporting documents. We will send your acceptance materials (including I-20) by Fed-Ex. You should receive your acceptance package 2-3 weeks after the IEP office receives your complete application.

Can spouses of international students /visiting scholars take IEP classes?

F-2 and J-2 visa holders may be able to take some IEP courses under certain circumstances, but there are specific rules about how many classes F-2 or J-2 visa holders can take. Please check with the IEP office for more information.

What is SEVIS?

The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is a national database used to maintain information on international students and exchange visitors in the United States. SEVIS allows only one institution to access an individual's immigration record at any given time.

Where can I learn more about the F-1 regulations?

You can contact the Designated School Official (DSO) with specific questions regarding your F-1 visa.

While attending the Western Washington University on an F-1 or J-1 visa, can I work or find a paid internship?

There are limited work opportunities for IEP students. IEP students should not plan to work their first quarter in IEP due to the high academic expectations for students. If you would like more information about working on-campus while studying in IEP, please contact the IEP office.

I am transferring from another school in the U.S. to the IEP. When will I get my I-20?

The DSO will create your new I-20 as soon as the IEP office receives your completed transfer paperwork. Please complete your transfer paperwork with your current DSO or Student Advisor. If you are not planning on leaving the United States before attending the IEP, the DSO will keep your I-20 and give it to you the first day of orientation.

If you are planning on leaving the United States before attending the IEP, or would prefer to receive your I-20 sooner, please email the DSO.

What is a financial guarantee?

A financial guarantee is from your bank, your family's bank or from your sponsor and confirms that you have enough funds for your tuition, fees, and living expense, available to you for EACH QUARTER you will study with us.

I am a current student, but I want to travel over the break and return to IEP afterwards. Is this possible?

If you want to travel internationally over the break, to your home country, Canada or somewhere else outside of the U.S., you must complete the International Travel Authorization form found here: https://esign.wwu.edu/admcs/process/forms/EESP/EE_LLCP_Student_Travel.aspx. You must complete this form at least 2 weeks before you travel in order to ensure your immigration documents are current and to ensure you can re-enter the U.S. You may also make an appoint with the DSO if you have questions about leaving the U.S. during your time as an IEP student.

Intensive English Program

If I miss the application deadline, can I still apply to the IEP?

If the deadline has passed, it is too late to apply for that term. We will accept your application for the next term. It is important to have enough time to get a student visa and make travel arrangements.

How much is tuition? And how do I pay?

See the current costs on the Tuitions and Fees page

After registering and the first week of classes, you can pay for tuition and fees in the Student Business Office in Old Main (OM) 110. We generally recommend that students open checking accounts from an American bank after they arrive at Western. 

Must be paid after IEP Registration:
IEP Payment Methods Cash Debit (Visa or MasterCard) Credit Card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover)
Tuition and Fees Pay in OM 110 with no additional fees. Pay in OM 110 with no additional fees. Pay online or in SBO kiosk, but pay an additional 2.75% transaction fee (approx. $70)
How will I know which classes I should take?

On Monday and Tuesday of the first week, we administer placement tests to all new students. We examine your reading, writing, vocabulary, grammar, listening, and speaking. Registration for new students is on Wednesday afternoon; at that time, we will meet with you to discuss your level, your English Support classes, your class schedule, and which textbooks you will need to purchase.

Is it possible to live off-campus?

Yes. There are apartments and houses near the university and downtown. Information about apartments and living off-campus can be found on the IEP website and in the Student Handbook, which is also posted on our website.

Western Washington University (WWU)

Can I take the TOEFL at Western Washington University?

Yes. Tests are available in Bellingham and the surrounding area. Please visit the TOEFL website.

What are the minimum TOEFL and IELTS score requirements for international applicants to Western Washington University?

Internation FAQ's



Is financial aid available for international students?


Are scholarships available for international students?

There are limited scholarships for international students studying at Western, but not for students in the IEP. Contact the Scholarship Center at (360) 650-3471 for further information.

Can I automatically be accepted to Western after completing IEP courses?

No, not automatically. To apply for admission to Western, you must submit a separate Western application.

To be fully admitted and eligible to enroll in academic classes at Western students must submit proof of English language proficiency. Western Washington University offers conditional admission to undergraduate and post-baccalaureate applicants who have not submitted proof of English language proficiency.

Students who have not met Western’s language proficiency requirement can enroll in courses in the IEP. Students in the IEP can meet Western’s language proficiency requirement by completing the final level of IEP with a GPA of 3.0 or higher or submitting the required TOEFL, IELTS score. The IEP Student Academic Advisor will work with students on their transition to Western Washington University.

What degrees are offered at Western?

Western Washington University offers over 175 different majors. For a list of departments or programs and the requirements, you can check the Western website.

A separate application is needed to apply to Western, even if you have already been accepted in the IEP.

Have a Question

Outreach and Continuing Education would like to hear from you with any comments or questions you may have.

Email OCE with your question

Follow Us

Subscribe to news and events from Outreach and Continuing Education. Choose an interest or leave it blank to receive our general news emails.

Subscribe to eNews

Our Locations

Western Washington University is conveniently located throughout the Puget Sound and Central Salish Sea regions.

Visit us at one of our locations.

Support Outreach and Continuing Education

Outreach and Continuing Education is a self-supporting institution. Your support helps us fulfill our mission to share the Western Experience with students of all ages.

Donate to Outreach and Continuing Education