Are there exceptions to the requirement for ALEKS Math Placement Assessment (MPA)?

Most, but not all, new students need to take the ALEKS Math Placement Assessment; you will find the list of exceptions below. If after reading the list of exceptions below you are still unsure whether you meet one of the exceptions, contact the Academic Advising Center at (360) 650-3850 or the Department of Mathematics at (360) 650-3785. Please note that taking the MPA may allow you to place in a higher level course than the exceptions will allow for.

  • Western will continue to allow APTP Math Placement Test scores for students who entered Western prior to Fall 2017; scores are valid for 5 years from original test date.
  • The MPA is not required for entrance into Math 099 (Review Algebra – no degree credit).
  • Within one year of high school graduation, students who provide evidence of meeting the college readiness standard on the Smarter Balanced Assessment (Level 3 or higher) may enroll in Math 107 or Math 108 without taking the placement assessment. To receive permission to register for Math 107 or Math 108 without taking the MPA, students need to bring their Smarter Balanced Mathematics Assessment Results Family Report, provided by the State of Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, to the Math Department.
  • Students who earned a C- or better in a college Intermediate Algebra course within the last 5 years may register for Math 107, Math 108 or Math 112 without taking the MPA.
  • Students who earned a C+ or better in a transferable college Precalculus I course are eligible for Math 157 or Math 240 without taking the MPA.
  • Students who earned a C+ or better in the second/final course in a college Precalculus sequence may register for Math 124 (Calculus) without taking the MPA. Completing only the first course in such a sequence (i.e. Precalculus I) will not meet this requirement.
  •  The MPA is waived for students who scored a two or higher on the College Board AP Calculus Exam (AB or BC). Students who scored a two or higher and who plan to take another Math course are advised to discuss their options with a Math advisor at (360) 650-3785. Exception: Students seeking admission to Honors Math 134 MUST take the MPA.
  • The MPA is waived for students who have college credit (and grade of C- or better) for a Calculus course equivalent to Math 124 (Calculus and Analytical Geometry).
  • Students who plan to complete a Bachelor of Arts in Education – Elementary or Special Education and have earned a C or better in a college Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, or Precalculus course within the last five years may, after admission to Western’s Elementary or Special Education programs, register for Math 381 without taking the MPA.
  • Students who have completed the ALEKS MPA at another college may be eligible to use those scores for placement here at Western. The requirements for transferring ALEKS MPA scores to Western:
  • ALEKS MPA taken one or more times in a proctored setting at another school – requires verified scores.

Have a Question

Outreach and Continuing Education would like to hear from you with any comments or questions you may have.

Email OCE with your question

Follow Us

Subscribe to news and events from Outreach and Continuing Education. Choose an interest or leave it blank to receive our general news emails.

Subscribe to eNews

Our Locations

Western Washington University is conveniently located throughout the Puget Sound and Central Salish Sea regions.

Visit us at one of our locations.

Support Outreach and Continuing Education

Outreach and Continuing Education is a self-supporting institution. Your support helps us fulfill our mission to share the Western Experience with students of all ages.

Donate to Outreach and Continuing Education